ΠΡΟΜΕΣΙ 2009-2011
Θέλετε να αντιδράσετε στο μήνυμα; Φτιάξτε έναν λογαριασμό και συνδεθείτε για να συνεχίσετε.

Λίγο χιούμορ γιατί χανόμαστε

2 απαντήσεις

Πήγαινε κάτω

Λίγο χιούμορ γιατί χανόμαστε Empty Λίγο χιούμορ γιατί χανόμαστε

Δημοσίευση  vpapadopoulos Πεμ Ιαν 14, 2010 6:20 am

http://www.cmh.edu/stats/koans/BlindfoldedDonkey.asp
The Blindfolded Donkey

Student Leaf approached Master Stem with a question. "Master Stem. My statistical model requires an assumption of normality, but I have an outlier in the data. Should I not remove the outlier so I can satisfy this assumption?"

Master Stem replied, "It is a perilous journey you are undertaking and I understand your caution. When I last crossed the mountains, I was also cautious. The donkey I rode upon knew the path well, but during the most dangerous part of the journey, I blindfolded him because if he could not see the loose rocks on the path, he would not slip on them.

http://www.cmh.edu/stats/koans/NinetyNineSamples.asp
The Other Ninety Nine Samples

Master Stem was inspecting his students work. Student Leaf displayed a 95% confidence interval from a randomized control trial. "What does this confidence interval tell you?" Master Stem inquired.

Student Leaf replied, "This interval contains the value of zero, which provides evidence that there is no difference between the treatment group and the control group."

"And what can you tell me about the truth of this interval, Student Leaf."

"We cannot make a probability statement about this particular interval, Master Stem. We can say, however, that if I collected 100 samples and computed confidence intervals using this method, about 95% of them would contain the true mean difference."

"Very interesting, Student Leaf. Now that you have collected the first sample, when do you plan on collecting the other 99?"

http://www.cmh.edu/stats/koans/VisitFromThief.asp
A Visit From A Thief

Student Leaf asked Master Stem, "I have heard some of my teachers say 'I accept the null hypothesis' and others say 'I fail to reject the alternative hypothesis.' Why do these words not mean the same thing?"

Master Stem scoffed "Bah, these teachers of yours! They do not understand probability, every single one of them."

Student Leaf asked "But what does probability have to do with it? The null hypothesis is true or it is not. Where is the probability?"

Master Stem replied "All hypotheses have probability if you consider them carefully. Consider a thief who visits your house. You do not see anything unusual during the visit, but after the thief leaves, you find that your jewelry has been stolen."

Student Stem replies "Then the thief must have taken the jewels."

"Are you so sure? The night that the thief visited, was the night that you had a great celebration, and one hundred people came and visited. Only after everyone had left did you notice that the jewels were gone."

"Then the thief probably did not take the jewels, Master Stem. It was probably one of the other guests."

"But you had the authorities investigate. They searched the houses of all the other guests and these searches did not yield the jewels."

"Then the other guests are innocent. It must have been the thief because only his house could have contained the jewels."

"That is reasonable, perhaps, if you believe that there is no other hiding place for the jewels. But I forgot to mention that the authorities are very busy and they did not search very carefully in any one house."

"Then I am not sure what to believe, Master Stem."

"You never believe anything with certainty, Student Leaf. A thief visits your house. You have an initial level of mistrust because I have called this person a thief. Think about what this means. This person has been known to steal from others, so you have a high degree of belief that he may have stolen from you as well. Now I provide you with more information. Each piece of information either increases or decreases your degree of belief. But no matter how much data you accumulate, you will never have certainty, just a degree of belief."

"How then, Master Stem, am I able to make any decision, if I never have certainty."

"There is balance, Student Leaf. How much do you lose if the thief is allowed to get away with the crime? What is the consequence of the loss of face when your accusations of thievery are proven false?"

"I do not know if I can assign a value to these things, Master Stem."

"Such foolishness. You want to make very important decisions about these jewels, but not once did you think to assess their value. Were they but a trifle? Then be very careful not to risk your reputation over such a small thing. Were the jewels of great beauty and incomparable value? Then do not let any small thing stand in the way of possibly recovering such a great treasure."

vpapadopoulos

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 80
Ημερομηνία εγγραφής : 16/10/2009

Επιστροφή στην κορυφή Πήγαινε κάτω

Λίγο χιούμορ γιατί χανόμαστε Empty Απ: Λίγο χιούμορ γιατί χανόμαστε

Δημοσίευση  alexius Τετ Ιαν 20, 2010 8:21 pm

e ton master stem!! Very Happy kalo vasili!

alexius

Αριθμός μηνυμάτων : 6

Λίγο χιούμορ γιατί χανόμαστε Empty An analogy to understand power

Δημοσίευση  vpapadopoulos Κυρ Φεβ 07, 2010 1:32 am

An analogy to understand power (chapter 20, pages 147-148)
This analogy helps illustrate the concept of statistical power (Hartung, 2005).

You send your child into the basement to find a tool. He comes back and says, “It isn’t there.” What do you conclude? Is the tool there or not? There is no way to be sure, so the answer must be a probability. The question you really want to answer is, “What is the probability that the tool is in the basement?” But that question can’t really be answered without knowing the prior probability and using Bayesian thinking (see Chapter 18). Instead, let’s ask a different question: “If the tool really is in the basement, what is the chance your child would have found it?” The answer, of course, is “it depends.” To estimate the probability, you’d want to know three things:

■How long did he spend looking? If he looked for a long time, he is more likely to have found the tool. This is analogous to sample size. An experiment with a large sample size has high power to find an effect.
■How big is the tool? It is easier to find a snow shovel than the tiny screw driver used to fix eyeglasses. This is analogous to the size of the effect you are looking for. An experiment has more power to find a big effect than a small one.
■How messy is the basement? If the basement is a real mess, he was less likely to find the tool than if it is carefully organized. This is analogous to experimental scatter. An experiment has more power when the data are very tight (little variation).

If the child spent a long time looking for a large tool in an organized basement, there is a high chance that he would have found the tool if it were there. So you can be quite confident of his conclusion that the tool isn’t there. Similarly, an experiment has high power when you have a large sample size, are looking for a large effect, and have data with little scatter (small standard deviation). In this situation, there is a high chance that you would have obtained a statistically significant effect if the effect existed.

If the child spent a short time looking for a small tool in a messy basement, his conclusion that “the tool isn’t there” doesn’t really mean very much. Even if the tool were there, he probably would have not found it. Similarly, an experiment has little power when you use a small sample size, are looking for a small effect, and the data have lots of scatter. In this situation, there is a high chance of obtaining a conclusion of “statistically significant even if the effect exists.
Από την ιστοσελίδα http://www.intuitivebiostatistics.com/excerpts/ του βιβλίου Harvey J. Motulsky. Intuitive Biostatistics. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press; 2010.

vpapadopoulos

Λίγο χιούμορ γιατί χανόμαστε Empty Αστρολογία και πολλαπλές συγκρίσεις

Δημοσίευση  vpapadopoulos Κυρ Φεβ 07, 2010 10:42 pm

J Clin Epidemiol. 2006 Sep;59(9):964-9. Epub 2006 Jul 11.

Testing multiple statistical hypotheses resulted in spurious associations: a study of astrological signs and health.
Austin PC, Mamdani MM, Juurlink DN, Hux JE.

OBJECTIVES: To illustrate how multiple hypotheses testing can produce associations with no clinical plausibility. STUDY DESIGN AND SETTING: We conducted a study of all 10,674,945 residents of Ontario aged between 18 and 100 years in 2000. Residents were randomly assigned to equally sized derivation and validation cohorts and classified according to their astrological sign. Using the derivation cohort, we searched through 223 of the most common diagnoses for hospitalization until we identified two for which subjects born under one astrological sign had a significantly higher probability of hospitalization compared to subjects born under the remaining signs combined (P<0.05). RESULTS: We tested these 24 associations in the independent validation cohort. Residents born under Leo had a higher probability of gastrointestinal hemorrhage (P=0.0447), while Sagittarians had a higher probability of humerus fracture (P=0.0123) compared to all other signs combined. After adjusting the significance level to account for multiple comparisons, none of the identified associations remained significant in either the derivation or validation cohort. CONCLUSIONS: Our analyses illustrate how the testing of multiple, non-prespecified hypotheses increases the likelihood of detecting implausible associations. Our findings have important implications for the analysis and interpretation of clinical studies.

PMID: 16895820 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

vpapadopoulos

Επιστροφή στην κορυφή

Δικαιώματα σας στην κατηγορία αυτή
Δεν μπορείτε να απαντήσετε στα Θέματα αυτής της Δ.Συζήτησης